Monday, October 8, 2012

Happy Birthday.

Today is a special day in our little family.  
It is Clay's birthday!  
As someone who grew up counting down the days/hours/minutes until my birthday, it always baffles me that Clay not only doesn't want to make a fuss about his birthday, but would actually prefer if it was skipped altogether.  I used to spend weeks making up a birthday list, and Clay would rather no one gave him a single thing.  I think I've been telling him for years (after we were engaged...I didn't want to scare him off) how for my thirtieth birthday I wanted him to throw me a surprise party in Seaside with all of my best friends.  On his birthday tonight he's at a class at our church.  

I say all of this because, Clay, you are the most genuinely humble person I know.  Daily you show me what it looks to put every person in your life above yourself.  You live a life above reproach, and everyday I am thankful for the way you lead me to the Lord, and lead our family in every decision.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things." Philippians 4:8

You carved this in a photo box you made me in high school.  I'm not sure there is a verse that more accurately describes the way you live your life.  Because of the way you pursue the Lord, George and I rest securely in His love that binds our little family together.  I am humbled by the way you pray over our family daily.  I am encouraged by the way you pursue me, and the way you believe in me.  You make life so much fun, even on days that are not fun.  Today, I celebrate the father you are to George, the husband you are to me, and the follower you are of Christ.  Happy Birthday, Clay!

...and now for a trip down memory lane.

Mr. Mike with Clay on October 8, 1983.

 Denver trip 2007

Off-night from Camp Winnataska 2007

 Eric's Wedding 2007.
I can't pass up an opportunity to show of the kilt.

Visit to Berry.

November 17, 2007.
The night we got engaged.

Best week ever.
Honeymoon 2008.

DC Trip 2009

Jackson Hole 2009

The Phoenix Era...2009

 Boston 2010.  Go Sox!

First family picture.  2011.

Best.  Dad.  Ever.

Birthday lunch, 2012.

Happy Birthday, Clay!  I hope you feel as loved and cherished as you make me feel every day of the year.  You are so special to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment