Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Things We Do For Love

For Christmas, we gave our nephew, Rogers, a trip to Build-a-Bear with us (Clay and me).  I could see the let down on Rogers' face when he opened up our gift to find a teeny tiny little credit card-thing, but I knew once we got him in the store, he might get into the excitement of it all.

We didn't even have to get to the mall for Rogers to get excited.  Just the car ride out to the Galleria alone was almost enough entertainment for Clay and me.  Rogers was excited to see the escalators, Chick-Fil-A, and all of the shiny watches displayed in the department store (which, in case you're wondering, are all on a child's level).  Once we got into the Build-a-Bear store, I wasn't sure that Rogers would be able to contain his excitement, but he did a great job- and was even more patient than I was!


 We tried to explain the concept of the place to him.  Basically, he could pick out any animal and outfit he wanted, and he would get to turn it into a stuffed animal of his own.  His first choice was this pink/purple/blue tie-dyed bear with a Buzz Lightyear outfit, but we steered him in another direction.  

After he had picked everything out, we were waiting in line.  I think we're used to George who walks figure-8s around/between our legs and begs to be held most of the time.  We turned around, and saw that Rogers had made himself comfortable at the computer station.  This picture just cracks me up.

 After a lot of deliberation, he went with a tiger in a Batman suit.  He seemed pretty pumped about it!

He was such a trooper with the long line!  Much more so than Juju. 

 Finally, it was Rogers' turn!  Mackey helped Rogers stuff the tiger, and put its heart inside.  There was a three-year-old girl in front of us who had to put her very last pacifier inside her bear.  It was traumatic for everyone involved- even the by-standers.  I get the theory of it, and it seems like a good enough way to get rid of the paci, but that little girl was traumatized, and I think Clay was a little heart-broken for her too.

 After some emergency surgery (see below), the tiger was ready for its first bath!  Rogers got really into this part.

 Here, tiger is having some emergency surgery.  See, Rogers wanted his tiger to smell like cupcakes, so he bought a smelly tab that goes inside.  Mackey forgot this key part to the animal, so we had to go see the on-call animal surgeon.  I know that sounds sarcastic, but she truly had her own set of tools/needles/thread to open the animals and close them back up.  She was referred to as the 'expert sewer'.

 After careful consideration, Rogers chose a tiger, in a Batman costume, that smells like cupcakes.
I can see the love he has for Tiger already.

Finished product!

I think about all of the fun times we had with the Lee's growing up, and it makes me want to do fun things with all of my nephews (and Frannie, too!- just different activities probably).  Some of my most favorite memories from childhood are with our cousins and Marianne and Ed.  Glamour Shots, Christmas night movies, going to the hunting camp, etc., would have been fun with friends, but they are lasting memories because they are family.  With almost all of our family within a stone's throw of our house, I can hardly contain my excitement to get to do these fun things with them.  

I would not have thought being at the Galleria on MLK day would have been my idea of fun, but it was one of my favorite times with Rogers.  Clay and I had a blast with him- and it's so different because he is a talker, and the things he says are absolutely hilarious!  We are so thankful for Rogers, and for the time we get to spend with him.  This was a sweet memory that we will always cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment