Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Getting (me) Through the Sick Season

I don't know what it is about this year, but we can't seem to keep George well these days.  Someone that Clay works with said that from birth to 1 year old, kids may get little things here and there, but overall, they stay pretty healthy.  But from 1 to 2 is a no-holds-barred kind of year where they get EVERYTHING.  George has proven that statement to be oh-so-true.

Last week he was fighting off the stomach bug, and this week, I'll spare you the gory details, but let's just say that he's 'sick'.  Really sick.  Luckily, today we seemed to have turned a corner of sorts, so hopefully we're on the mend.  All that to say, we've still managed to have some sweet moments along the way, and a few milestones, so I wanted to make sure I write them somewhere because I will surely not remember anything from this week once it's over.

George's language is growing at a rapid pace these days.  I've noticed that if it's something that he's really passionate about (food), or really obsessed with (characters/books) then he figures out the correct word for it and uses it.  Here are a few examples:

*I let him watch Toy Story for the first time yesterday simply because it was a movie-watching-kind-of-day.  So we snuggled up in bed, and within the first fifteen minutes, he started pointing and saying 'Woody! Woody!'.  It was bizarre how quickly he picked up his name.  Now he walks around the house asking for Woody all day.  

*He is very passionate about 'bites', and is loving foods (when he's not sick).  Besides fruit, I haven't found a 'bite' that he doesn't love.  Sometimes when I go into his room in the morning he's standing up at his crib pointing at the door saying 'bites pees!'

* He does still love 'mick mick', but I'm afraid Woody has edged him out.

* I've started asking him to say 'thank you', and sometimes he will say 'ank you'.  It's pretty sweet.

He still says nonsense words that Clay and I have no idea what he means, and this will frustrate George to no end.  We're in that hard place where George can communicate some things, but not everything, and he thinks he can communicate more than he actually can.  It's hard to watch him struggle, become frustrated, etc., but there is literally nothing I can do about it in the meantime.

I have been terrible about taking pictures lately, but here are a few I've taken with my phone.  


 Learning to color.  He's more into finger painting, but crayons are less messy.

 I can't remember when Saty gave him this shirt, but he was really excited when we put it on him (for fun) the other day.  
I'm thinking he may be a cowboy for Halloween this year.

 I heard him belly laughing in the back of the house, 
and came around the corner to this.

 After Mother's Day Out one day, I tucked him in his crib, and found myself contemplating snuggling up with him.  I can't imagine how hard it will be once he has a bed I can actually fit into with him.

 Best find ever at a consignment sale!  
George is obsessed with rocking chairs (have I mentioned that he's an old soul?).

 Train book from Aunt Marianne.
Here's how you know it's a favorite- when the binding is completely broken because it's been read so many times and you don't even think about throwing it away.  Thank goodness for duct tape saving this gem of a book.

 This picture, and the ones below, were taken this week while George has been sick.  Two things have made him happy: taking pictures of himself with my phone (not sure why, but this is the face he made in every. single. one.) and Toy Story!

 His best attempt at a smile.  While watching Woody.

 This is what he did 90% of the time he was awake.  There's only so much Mom can do to entertain herself with a 100+ degree baby draped over her.

Watching Woody.  He was literally on the edge of his seat, and had to walk closer the first time he watched it.

All-in-all, we've had lots of snuggles and sweet moments around here this week.  I have friends whose babies are in, and have been, in serious danger for their lives, and that keeps things in perspective really quickly.  I know that God has given me the grace and strength for today, and that is all I need.  

Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus, far surpassing all the rest
It's an ocean full of blessing in the midst of every test
Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus, mighty Savior, precious Friend
You will bring us home to glory where Your love will never end.

O the deep, deep love
All I need and trust
Is the deep, deep love of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment