Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mother's Day

 Clay has always celebrated Mother's Day in such a sweet way- even before we had George.  This year was no different, except that George is a walking/talking human being now.  Sunday morning while I was still 'asleep', Clay went in to get George out of bed.  I could hear him in George's room coaching him on how to say 'Happy Mother's Day, Mommy'.  It might have been my favorite moment of the day.

So George raced into our room and yelled 'HAPPY!!!!!", and I got the gist of what he meant.  He was holding this little card that Clay and him had made together.  Call me a sap, but I will keep this card forever.

We had lunch with the Cochran's and dinner with my family, and then all three of us crashed really early that night.  Because of this season of life for us, Clay and I have talked more about what parenthood means to us than we ever have before.  I think the reasons we chose to become parents are not at all the reasons we enjoy being parents.  When I used to spend time with friends and families that had kids, they always made it seem so easy and fun.  It always looked like that child and/or baby just fit perfectly into the life they lived before they became parents (I realize now that I was sorely mistaken).  I am thankful for the ways that George has changed mine and Clay's life, because it has certainly changed dramatically from a few years ago.  I'm so grateful for the ways that Nan has already deepened our marriage, and our family life.

 I am more confident than ever that I was created to be a mother.  I love being George's mom, and I love spending my days with him- even when it's hard, and even when it is exhausting.  Just when I don't know if I can handle another meltdown, George comes up with the sweetest moments like "love you mommy" or "more Jesus, peeees" (that's his latest one), and it reminds me of the joy of parenting.

Above everything, though, I am absolutely sure that I am the mother I am to George because of the dad Clay is to him.  Clay has taught me so much about taking joy in these early years- and it has been such a relief to be able to have fun with George on a daily basis.  I am so thankful for our little family.  I am excited to introduce Nan to her big brother, and her doting dad.


Thanks for making this the best Mother's Day yet, Clay and George!
I love you more than words.

No comments:

Post a Comment