Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Summer of George

Clay and I are big Seinfeld fans, and we've officially dubbed this summer as the 'Summer of George', since this is literally the last summer that George will be a solo child.  I can hardly contain myself thinking about pool days, mornings spent at the Zoo/Splash Pad, and all of the other things we'll have time to do between now and when Nan arrives.  My only fear is that the heat combined with my increasing size might slow me down.  But that's what afternoon naps are for, right?

Last Friday was George's last day of Mother's Day Out for the year.  George has grown so attached to his teacher, Patty, and to the kids in his class.  All of a sudden in the last two weeks of 'school', he would come home talking about the six other kids in his class by name.  Sometimes even now I'll ask him who he wants to play with that day and he'll mention his friends from school.  It has been such a great year at Vestavia Day School- and I know George will be so excited to start back in August!

This is George on his first day of school.                       
Here he is on his last day of school!

He loves wearing his backpack around- we just have to make sure it's not too heavy for him.  There have been a few times when his backpack has made him tip over.  But he's always a trooper about it! 


His teachers put this bag of memories together from their last month of school!  They always sent home the sweetest crafts, and Clay is begging me to clean out some of the ones that aren't keepsakes (i.e. a cut-out snowflake with some crayon scribbles).  I know that having a second baby will help me want to purge more often, but I just can't part with these little treasures.

 
So now that summer is in full-swing, we have lots of time for morning snuggles.  As soon as I get George out of his crib in the mornings, he runs into our room, pats on the bed, and says, "Snuggles please!"  I will never pass up moments like these.  

 We've been trying to play outside as much as possible before the unbearable summer heat sets in.  I'm not sure when George got big enough to swing by himself, but I get a little misty seeing this.  He is an outside kid for sure, no matter how hot, cold, rainy, or buggy it might be.

 A little girl invited him to see-saw with him.  I think he fell in love.

 My friend, Mivvi, has introduced me to the power of the garden hose.  The other day I had walked Lakeshore Trail with a friend (5 mile walk), and I was pretty exhausted.  I looked at my watch and saw it was only 10am when we finished.  Not even close to lunch/naptime.  I turned on the hose for George, and sat myself on the porch for AN HOUR.  For one hour, I sat on the porch while George had the time of his life playing with the hose.

 It didn't take long for the t-shirt to come off and for the real fun to start.

 George and Charlotte Anne have such a sweet love for each other!  We love playing with these friends, I think you can tell by George's face here.

George and Lucy at the park.  I really couldn't capture the cuteness of this situation, but they were playing peek-a-boo with each other.  George would pop out and say "peed pieeeee!" and Lucy would just laugh and laugh.  It is pretty sweet to see George actually play with other kids.


All-in-all, we are in a sweet stage of life.  George plays so hard in the mornings, and has been crashing for his afternoon naps (sometimes lasting 4+ hours!!).  Our days are filled with so much action, and I love to see George's love for life.  

I am also so thankful for your prayers and encouragement throughout the last two months.  While we wait for Nan's arrival, we continue to covet your prayers.  She continues to grow in a healthy way, and we are more hopeful than ever for her precious little life.  She is, without a doubt, the bravest little fighter I know.  I can't wait to meet her, and, as she grows up, tell her of the miracle that is her life.  And I can't wait to get to tell her about all of our friends and family who have prayed ceaselessly for her.  We are thankful that the deep sadness has left our little house, and we have found the joy in life again.  A dear friend gave me a devotional book that I have found to be such a comfort throughout this season.  This was the poem/hymn for May 15, the day she gave it to me.

I cannot know why suddenly the storm
Should rage so fiercely round me in its wrath;
But this I know- God watches all my path,
And I can trust.

I may not draw aside the mystic veil
That hides the unknown future from my sight,
Nor know if for me waits the dark or light;
But I can trust.

I have no power to look across the tide,
To see while here the land beyond the river;
But this I know- I shall be God's forever;
So I can trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment