Friday, July 6, 2012

Seattle

After getting in to Seattle Thursday night, we decided that we'd go for a hike the next day.  We went to Seattle (and Portland, really) to visit our friends, Allison and David.  Allison and I went to high school together, and we just love any time we get to spend with them.  When we decided to go on a hike, both Allison and David assured us that this would be a pretty easy hike.  Based on my working knowledge of hiking, I wasn't intimidated, because hiking is just walking for extended periods of time in the woods, right?!  Maybe in Alabama, but we were in Washington.

 Lucas the Wonderdog getting ready for the hike

 Everyone is all smiles and goofing around at the beginning.

Notice that I am in the back of the line at this straight uphill ascent to the top.

Now, there are a few hours, and several thousand feet in between this picture and the next set of pictures.  I'm not sure that I really understood this at the time, but we were going to summit this mountain.  On our vacation.  We played games, had really great conversations, and pondered at the people who were running the trail we were struggling to walk with poles.  You read that right.  People were summiting this mountain for leisurely exercise.  I guess that's the difference between southerners and north westerners.  

Anyways...I digress.

We finally reached the top, and we were literally in a cloud.  (Disclaimer: We were, literally, in the cloud.  My brother has pointed out that sometimes I misuse the word, literally.  This is an appropriate use of the word)  We ate lunch on top of a rock, in the cloud, overlooking the town below.  It was incredible.  
 Almost to the top...

 Finally at the summit

 View while the clouds were around us.

 Allison thought this would be so funny.

 Then everyone wanted to feed the birds- so the birds hung around us for a while.


 I love Clay's face in this picture: pure joy.
He was so happy that we went on this hike, 
and even happier that the birds wanted to eat out of his hand.

Even though the clouds were still there, this is my favorite picture from this day.

 Al and Dave at the top.

And Lucas.  The Wonderdog.

We had resolved that the clouds were settled in for the afternoon, so we started to pack up.  All of a sudden, the clouds parted, and the sun came out, revealing the most expansive view I have seen.  It was definitely worth the hike.





After coming back down the mountain, we started to make plans for that night, since it was the last night of our vacation.  We stumbled upon a little treasure in this mountain town, The Dairy Freeze.  Everyone got a milkshake, and it was delicious.  We noticed the most incredible view of the mountain we had just climbed right in front of us!


Friday night we went to Ray's Seafood for some fresh, local seafood.  We had sablefish, calamari, and shrimp and crab cakes.  Everything was so delicious, but the view was incredible!





After dinner, we went to most delicious little dessert place, Hot Cakes.  They specialize in s'mores desserts, but Clay and I had our eye on a dark chocolate and salted caramel milkshake.  Since that didn't sound rich enough, we decided to top it off with a salted chocolate chip cookie.  I have a deep love for desserts, and this little combo blew my socks off.



Saturday morning we got breakfast and took it to the park next to the locks- where boats come in and out, and the salmon swim upstream to get to the ocean.  
 Just hanging out at the park.

 View under the Locks Bridge.

 Salmon going up the ladder trying to get upstream.

Last picture of the trip!

This was a trip to remember, for sure.  We absolutely missed George, but it was so great to just be with Clay, and be the couple that started our little family.  I absolutely love traveling with Clay because he keeps a level-head when things get tense, or we have 15 minutes to board our plane and we're still in the security line (this actually happened this trip), or I want to buy a souvenir that makes no sense whatsoever.  But he also makes me laugh so hard (and if you know me, you can finish this sentence), and when we're out of town, that's just what I need.  We laughed more in Seattle than I have in a really, really long time.  It was the most perfect getaway, and we came home rested and relaxed.

Hope everyone had a Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment