Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sick Days

When I was teaching, I used to dream of the days when I could stay home in case George got sick.  It would send me into a panic attack thinking about getting sub plans together, trying to find a sub in April/May (which, for an 8th grade Math Teacher is next to impossible), and coordinating pick-up/drop-offs, etc.  Here is one thought that never crossed my mind: who stays home with George when I get sick?  Well, we found out on Tuesday of this week: Dad comes home.

I have no idea what I had caught, but it knocked me out for almost a full 72 hours.  Here are a few conclusions I was able to draw from my time under the weather:

* There are few things more heart-breaking than physically not being able to pick up a pitiful baby.

* I used to fantasize about taking a sick day to stay in bed and watch movies all day.  It wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.

* On the flip side, I really was able to quench my thirst for chick flicks.  Here was my line-up:
He's Just Not That Into You, Father of the Bride, My Best Friend's Wedding, and, my personal all-time favorite:
When Harry Met Sally (I actually watched this one twice, back-to-back).

* Clay is the all-time best husband and dad.  Ever.  He came home early on Tuesday and worked from home on Wednesday.  George was, how should I say this, needy yesterday.  I'll also throw in the fact that Clay had the busiest work day since he's been at this job yesterday.  He had a meeting at church during his lunch hour, and took George with him.  He took care of George, took care of me, and took care of his work yesterday.  And I'll admit it, I might have been the most needy of everyone in the house.

* I'm afraid we forgot that Harper was in the house yesterday.


This is a total side-note:
Clay and I have gotten totally sucked into Downton Abbey, and we had just finished Seasons 1 & 2 on Sunday night.  If you haven't seen it, it is worth the $7.99 for a Hulu subscription for a month to see all 18 episodes.


So without a Downton Abbey episode to watch, Clay wanted to watch a movie from On-Demand, and he chose the movie, Contagion.  You may have seen the 1995 rendition called 'Outbreak'.  Anyways- the movie is about a disease that spreads like wildfire because of simple contact among humans.  Needless to say, my random sickness has caused us to Lysol our entire house and constantly sterilize everything.  I'm sure I'll go back to my '5-Second-Rule' ways soon, but for now, I'm just using Lysol wipes instead of paper towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment