Thursday, September 20, 2012

One Year

George,
Yesterday you turned one year old.  In some ways, it seems like you've been in our lives forever, and in other ways, I can't believe you are one year old.  I warn you, (and anyone reading this post), that this will for sure be sentimental.  You've been warned, and now I feel free-reign to express what this day has meant to me, to your dad, and to us as a little family.

We started the day with the traditional Howell-family-birthday-muffin.

 Followed by a little visit from Saty, and his first birthday present!


He really doesn't like to be separated from his soccer ball from Saty.  Thanks, Saty!

The rest of the day from 8:30am on seems like a blur in retrospect.  While it was a day full of celebrating George's life, we also had heavy hearts as we lost our Grandaddy.  Clay pointed out yesterday that Clay was born on Grandaddy's birthday, and he passed away on George's birthday.  Over the past few years, I have been amazed at the paradox of new life and the passing of life that the Lord creates in this world.  Yesterday was such a beautiful picture of how the Lord creates new life out of ashes.  Oh how we will miss Grandaddy, and we are excited to celebrate his life, and his impact on his family this weekend.

We spent post-nap with a Birthday Balloon from Mama Zo, a fun book from Great Aunt Marianne, lots of playing, and ended with a little cupcake from Ashley Mac's.







George, today has been such an emotional day for your dad and me.  We are so excited for you to be one year old.  We are so sad to experience the loss of your great-grandfather.  For today, we will celebrate who you are to our family.  You are joy.  You are excitement.  You are adventure.  Before we had you, I feared that we might be giving up so much.  We might have to give up freedom to travel on a whim.  We would have to give up going out to fun, fancy dates.  Everything seemed like such a sacrifice before you were born.  As I look through these pictures, and think about how much our house needs to be cleaned, I've realized that nothing about you seems like a sacrifice.  In fact, it's just the opposite.  The Lord has used you to experience what it feels like to die to self, in that your dad and I actually find life- and joy- out of service.  George, I know I will say this a million times, but I find the greatest joys in being your mother.  In the mundane, changing 10+ diapers, feeding meals, and playing with your dinosaurs and soccer ball all day, sort-of-day, I find joy.  I find my heart in my throat when your dad pulls up and you literally squeal with excitement at the sight of him.

George, your first year has changed our lives and rocked our world in the absolute best way possible.  I can't wait to see what the next 365 days hold.

Happy Birthday, Georgie!

No comments:

Post a Comment