Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Father's Day

I feel like I could write a novel about how great of a dad Clay is, and it still wouldn't do our day-to-day life justice.  As soon as George was born and made us a little family of three, I really was so blown away by how naturally Clay became a dad.  Motherhood was not quite as natural of a transition for me, so I was amazed by Clay's low-stress approach to sleepless nights, long workdays, and taking over as soon as he walked back into the house.  Sometimes I can hardly believe he still came home day after day- especially on the days when I would call him at 2:30pm asking him what time he'd be home.  

Every single day of our marriage, and even more so since we've had George, Clay has taken such great care of me.  Even on the days when I might have even walked away- he has pressed into our family in the most intentional way.  Throughout this pregnancy, he has never once left my side.  He even stayed for the entirety of my three-hour glucose test.  He has not missed a single doctor's appointment- and there have been A LOT.  On our hardest days, he has worked from home just so I could have him near.  He has literally held our family together- when everything in me fell apart.  

I know that the source of Clay's strength comes solely from the Lord.  I know that because if he drew his strength from any other source, he would run dry so quickly.  When I watch George, and how much he idolizes Clay, my heart rests peacefully knowing that if George follows Clay, that Clay will lead him to the Lord.  I cannot wait to watch him be a dad to Nan.  It takes a special man to be a dad to a daughter, and Clay Cochran was created for this.  She is going to know her Heavenly Father more because of the way her earthly father loves her, and that, to me, is so exciting.

I am thankful that we get to have a day to celebrate who Clay is to our family, because he would never choose to be celebrated.  He is the greatest man I know, and I am thankful for the way brought us into each others' lives thirteen (!!!!) years ago.  Who in the world would I be if it were not for Clay Cochran by my side?  

I feel like this is the most incomplete post about who Clay is as a dad.  But, I know I could never adequately describe how Clay's role as a father has shaped and molded me into the mother that I am.  And I will be forever thankful for this impact on me, and, ultimately, our family.

So here are a few of my favorite pics of Clay "Super Dad" Cochran in action:


I will forever love this picture.

 Nothing makes Clay happier than making George happy.  
And that makes me so happy.

 Clay is hands-down the most fun dad to have on the beach.

 I'm pretty sure that 95% of George's vocabulary comes from the countless books Clay reads to him on a daily basis.

 I'm also sure that 95% of the sugar George eats comes from his dad.
I love watching them enjoy a sweet treat together.

Happy Father's Day, Clay!
Love, Mom, George, Nan and Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment