Saturday, June 29, 2013

Five Years


Last night, Clay and I celebrated our fifth anniversary.  We headed out to Ross Bridge late yesterday afternoon, and were able to stay through a late lunch thanks to Mama Zo and Pops keeping George!  Last night at dinner, Clay and I were talking about some of our favorite times over the last five years.  We reminisced about some of our favorite trips, moving to Birmingham, what we used to do with our time (and money) before we had kids, and countless George memories as some of our favorite times in our marriage.  

On the day of our wedding, I think there was a level of naivety in both of us when we thought about our future together.  We never considered what it would be like to walk through the hard times together, because, frankly, we hadn't experienced any hard times before.  In the same breath as we talked about our favorite times together, we also talked about the loss of a job, when Clay moved to Phoenix and we were apart from each other for four months, and our latest season of life as we wait in anticipation for Nan's arrival.  One common thread that we've both been so aware of, is God's faithfulness to us.  It hasn't always been the outcome we'd hoped for, or even what we thought was best for us at the time, but His provisions have always been right, and good.  I have seen Clay lead our marriage, and our family in such a way that I know the Lord better because of the husband Clay is to me on a daily basis.  

I am so thankful to get to walk through this life with Clay by my side.  My most favorite part of our marriage is watching him be a father to George.  He makes our family life so much fun (for example, right now, Clay is building a 'car wash' for George out of PVC pipes, just because he wanted to, and because he knows George will love it), and I am eternally thankful for that.  It was so good for us to get to celebrate last night, and we had the sweetest time together!


...and now for a trip down memory lane.  These are just the highlights, and some of our favorite times together.


Summer 2007 working at Camp Winnataska.

November 17, 2007
Where we got engaged

June 28, 2008

Honeymoon Goodness.  Take me back.

 Our first New Year's together.
Gatlinburg, TN

 Trip to DC, March 2009
One of our most fun trips to date

Jackson Hole 2009

 Boston 2010

Babymoon/Anniversary trip to Blackberry Farm, July 2011
This is my most favorite trip I've ever taken with Clay.

 The day we became parents
September 19, 2011

 Our first trip post-baby
Portland, Oregon 2012

 Post-baby trip: Part 2
Seattle, Washington

"...but then God gave me you, it was then that I knew, 
He'd given me more than my share."

1 comment: