Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Mother's Day: Seaside Style

My family decided to spend Mother's Day Weekend (and pretty much the week leading up to) in Seaside this year, and I could not have been more excited.  I really do love Mother's Day, and I was excited to spend the weekend with my mom.  We missed Scooter, KK and their kids (especially George- he got pretty lonely by the end of the trip...more on that later).

I'll just tell the week's trip in pictures.

I think I started talking about the beach a little too early this time around.  George had his binoculars out first thing in the morning saying, "I'm looking for the beach Mama!"  I hated to tell him that we had about seventy-five errands to run before we would start the five-hour-drive down to the beach.  So I didn't.  I couldn't crush his excited spirit.

After waiting ALL day, we finally made it!  It was just the two of us at this point, so I took George on a pizza date in Seaside, and then we walked out to the beach.

...or actually we ran out to the beach.

All of the waiting was TOTALLY worth it when I saw his face when his feet hit the sand.  Seriously- other people [complete strangers] were stopping to watch him be in total awe of the beach.  One might be surprised to know this was his eighth time at the beach in 2.5 years.

Anyways...after all of the excitement of being down at the ocean, I couldn't deny him a trip to the ice cream shop.  It is just so fun to get to let him choose whatever we want to do, and be on our own schedule.

 The next morning was absolutely gorgeous!  Saty and Erin got in town late the night before, and we were all on the beach by 9am.

 Our neighbors, Claire and Lindsey, were down in Panama City with their kids, so they came over for the first half of the day on Wednesday.

 George and John Grady played until I just didn't think they could play any more.

 Olivia, John Grady and George


 Saty might have the coolest beach toy collection I've ever seen.  The little green army men were a huge hit!
They were especially fun in the pool!

 Thursday morning Clay joined us- and we were all SO excited!  

 Towards the end of the trip, George kept asking 'where are all my friends?' because he desperately missed people his age to play with.  At the pool and on the beach he actually asked other kids to come play with him.  It broke my heart a little that he was lonely, but I was also pretty proud of him for asking other kids he didn't know to come play, too!

 I just love this picture.

 Erie and George

 After all the years I've been to Seaside, this view just never, ever gets old.

 Something else that never gets old, is getting ice cream every single night.

 Saty's indoor toy collection is pretty top-notch, too.

 George was quite the porch swing hog this trip.

 Clay and I even got to go on a date, just the two of us!  We had dinner at George's in Alys Beach, and it was such a fun night out.

 Friday night we went to Great Southern Cafe in Seaside, and then decided to go crabbing after dinner. It was SO MUCH FUN.  While we didn't see any crabs since it was still early (and frankly...I don't know what we would have done with them if we had found them since we had no nets), George just ran up and down and all over the beach.  It was just so fun.

 Running with the flashlight.

 Flying a kite with the best dad ever.  He is non-stop action on the beach, and it makes my heart jump watching them play together.

 On top of the world.

 Exhibit #157: Clay builds a ramp out of sand for George's trucks

 Pop and George reading about 37 books before bed time.

 Crabbing attempt #2: this time Saty brings a head lamp!

 Erie and George have the flashlight.

 George wants to trade the flashlight for the head lamp.

 Sunset over Seaside

 Our only family pic from the trip!

Mother's Day brunch at Great Southern Cafe.

This was such a perfect way to spend Mother's Day for me.  I didn't realize how much Mother's Day would make me miss Nan, but oh, how it did.  I look at Clay and George and my heart is so, so full.  Really and truly, they are more than I could ever deserve in this world.  It is an incredible blessing that the Lord has called me to be George's mom, and I am thankful everyday for the privilege to get to stay home with him.  

Since becoming a mother myself, I have become more deeply grateful for my own mom.  She is so steadfast for me, and she loves me so much.  She feels my pain, my excitement, and mourns with me and rejoices with me through each and every step of our journey.  She is such an encouragement, and source joy and light in my life, and I am forever grateful that she is my mom.  

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment