Sunday, April 7, 2013

When Dad's Away

If you know about this little blog, I am sure you know what our family is going through right now.  I'm not trying to avoid the 'elephant in the room' so-to-speak, or to act like everything is always happy and great at our house, but I won't be using our blog to keep our friends and family updated about our situation.  I need this blog to be a place of joy and escape- so you'll be finding the same old George shenanigans and cute pictures in the months to come.  

For Christmas this past year, my parents gave Clay a fishing trip.  Now that some of our friends are now dads, and even have multiple children, it becomes increasingly difficult to find a weekend that works with everyone's schedules.  I know the Lord had planned for all of the events of the last five days to coincide on purpose, so that I would learn to rely on Him more than I rely on Clay.  As hard as this was to learn, I was so glad Clay was able to go and be around his brothers, my brother, and a lifelong friend of his and just HAVE FUN.  

George and I had such a fun weekend here in Birmingham, and quite possibly, the most action-packed weekend (that wasn't a holiday) I can remember.  I knew myself better than to try to go it alone, so Saty actually spent both Friday night and Saturday night here at the house with me.  It was so good to have her here for me, but George was even more excited than I was to have her around 24/7.  When things are hard, I do much better if I stay busy- so that's just what we did.  

Friday night, KK, Rogers, and Frannie came over for dinner and playtime.  George was devastated when they left- even though it was an hour after he usually goes to bed.  He literally stood at the front door calling out after 'Rogies'!  But Saturday morning, all his woes were wiped away when Saty was there to get him up in the morning.  After breakfast, we packed up and met KK, Rogers, and Frannie at the petting zoo at Oak Mountain.  George was really thrown off by the fact that the animals are just allowed to walk around freely.  I think he is more keen on the way the zoo works, with the animals behind one-foot-thick-glass.  But he had a great time chasing Rogers and Saty all over the farm.

George left me in the dust most of the weekend.

Goats!

George and Rogers taking in the sights!

We saw a group on a hayride, so we obviously wanted a turn.  We found out you had to have 10 people to go on the hayride, so Saty went up to complete strangers to coax them into joining the fun.
I'm so glad they were willing to join us because the kids loved it (even though it was one single loop around the parking lot).

 I stole this picture from Katie- it's just the best!

 I helped Rogers make a flattened penny- who wouldn't want to pay fifty-one cents for a penny that is now useless?  Oh the things we do for memories :)

 After we had exhausted all the petting farm had to offer, we found a field next to the lake in Oak Mountain and the boys had so much fun playing with the soccer ball and then playing down by the lake.  George was so sad we wouldn't let him jump in- which makes me excited about his swim lessons coming up in a few weeks!

 Rogers and George found this huge pile of leaves and had so much fun throwing them around.  I just love these two boys so much.

 George doesn't quite have the physicality that Rogers has- so he was getting pretty pooped.  He found his way over to KK and Frannie who were relaxing on a picnic blanket we brought.  He was more content with some Toy Story fruit snacks and a little rest period.

After all this, we headed to Chick-Fil-A for lunch and then we headed home.  I'm not sure I've seen George as tired as he was on the way home.  He took the hardest nap of his life, and then was ready to go all over again.  We had dinner with my family Saturday night, and by 6:00, I saw the delirium really set in on George.  But he was willing to push through for a little more playtime with Rogers.  

All-in-all, it was the best possible weekend considering what Clay and I are in the midst of right now.  I laughed really hard, I was able to have such sweet time with family, and I'm experiencing what it means to rely on the Lord.  He is the only thing that makes sense to us right now.  Clay came home in time for church this morning, and I was so glad he did.  I do not know what we would do without the community at Cahaba Park Church.  By now, I know you know how much I absolutely love hymns.  We sang this one today, and it was such a comfort to me.

"Jesus!  What a help in sorrow!
While the billows o'er me roll,
Even when my heart is breaking,
He, my comfort, helps my soul.

Hallelujah! what a Savior!
Hallelujah, what a Friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
He is with me to the end."
- from 'Jesus! What a Friend for Sinners!'

"I will glory in the Lord; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.  Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt His Name together."  Psalm 34: 1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment